Frequently asked questions of passengers at Rio Galeão airport
Answers to the most popular passenger queries
- What documentation of COVID-19 must be presented at Galeão airport?
- How to get to the city center or beaches by public transport?
- Where to wait for Uber or Cabify?
- Is it possible to get a SIM card at the airport?
- How to get from Galeão to Santos Dumont airport?
- How to get from Galeão airport to Buzios?
- Is it open 24 hours?
- Is it possible to get the Emergency or Urgent passport in Galeão?
- What to do in case of loss of valuables or luggage?
- Is there a luggage storage service?
- How much does it cost to park in Galeão?
- Are there banking services in Galeão?
- Are there pharmacies?
What documentation of COVID-19 must be presented at Tom Jobim airport?
– Brazilians and foreigners must present printed or electronic proof of a complete vaccination schedule and whose last dose was administered at least 14 days before the date of travel. Foreigners who are not fully vaccinated will not be allowed to enter the country (with some exceptions). Vaccines approved by the National Health Surveillance Agency, the World Health Organization (WHO) or the authority of the country where the traveler was immunized are valid.
– The voucher must contain the traveler’s name, the trade name or manufacturer’s name of the vaccine, the lot number(s) of the dose(s) administered and the date(s) of application of the dose(s);
– Vaccination vouchers in which the data described above are available exclusively in QR-CODE format or in any other coded language will not be accepted.
– Sars-Cov-2 (covid-19) recovery certificates will not be accepted in lieu of proof of full vaccination.
* Documents issued abroad must be submitted in Portuguese, Spanish or English.
Travelers are exempt from presenting proof of vaccination:
I – With a health condition that contraindicates vaccination, provided it is certified by a medical report. The medical certificate must be in Portuguese, English or Spanish and contain the date of travel, identification and signature of the responsible physician. It is not necessary to authenticate it;
II – Persons not eligible for vaccination according to age, according to the criteria defined by the Ministry of Health in the National Plan for the Operationalization of Vaccination against Covid-19 and published on the website of the Ministry of Health. It is necessary to present the proof of vaccination of persons 5 years old or older;
III – Who fall under the exceptions for humanitarian reasons, in accordance with the current portaria;
IV – Coming from countries with low vaccination coverage published by the Ministry of Health and posted on the Ministry’s website; and
V – Foreigners residing in Brazil who have not yet completed their vaccination schedule.
Travelers exempted from vaccination test must present a negative result of RT-PCR or antigen test performed no more than one day before boarding.
– The RT-PCR or antigen test must be performed in a laboratory recognized by the health authority of the country of origin;
– Children under 12 years of age who are exempt from presenting proof of vaccination and traveling with a companion are exempt from presenting a document certifying that they have been tested for SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus (covid-19) infection, provided that all companions present documents with negative or undetectable results performed within the day prior to embarkation;
– Children 2 years of age or older and under 12 years of age, traveling unaccompanied, must present a document with a negative or undetectable test result performed within the day prior to boarding;
– Children under two years of age are exempt from presenting a document certifying the completion of a test for SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus infection (covid-19) for travel to the Federative Republic of Brazil.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
How to get to the city center or beaches by public transport?
The premium blue 2016 bus (locals call it “Frescão”) connects the airport with Copacabana (Windsor Excelsior Hotel,
Grand Mercure Copacabana), Ipanema (Praca General Osório) and final destination in Leblon (Rua Humberto Campos) at 18.85 RS. The Frescão Premium 2145 goes to the center (Terminal Novo Rio). The rapid transit bus (BRT) (locals call it “Ligerão”) line TransCarioca Express connects the airport with Estação Vicente de Carvalho (here you can connect with the Metro to go downtown) and reaching Barra de Tijuca (Terminal Alvorada). Rate 4.05 reais. Learn more
Where to wait for Uber or Cabify?
Passengers can wait for the Uber at Terminal 2 (between gates B and C), UAC (entrance of the Administrative Building) or Linx Hotel reception. Cabify on the lower floor, where the administrative parking is located. Rates: downtown (33 to 44 RS), Copacabana and Leblon (43 to 58 RS), Ipanema (45 to 60 RS), Barra de Tijuca (65 to 84 reais).
Is it possible to get a SIM card at the airport?
There is a store called Exactta Telecomunicações in Terminal 2 – Floor 0, international arrivals area. Open – 07:00 to 23:00. There you can buy a “chip” (SIM card) for internet access. Also in Skill SIM, located in Terminal 2 – Floor 1 International Boarding
How to get from Galeão to Santos Dumont airport?
The Frescão 2145 bus connects the Rio de Janeiro Galeão and Santos Dumont airports every half hour on weekdays and 40 minutes on weekends and holidays. Rate: R$ 18.85. It is only recommended to use it if you have enough time as there is no estimated travel time. An Uber costs approximately 35 reais and a taxi R$ 70. Travel time: 25 to 30 minutes.
How to get from Galeão airport to Buzios?
The company Auto Viação 1001 has buses leaving from Tom Jobim airport to Buzios from 8:30 a.m. to 6:40 p.m. Rate R$ 70.07. Estimated travel time: 3h 30 minutes.
Is it open 24 hours?
The airport is open 24 hours and has several cafes and services available throughout the night such as currency exchange, Duty Free shops, car rental, pharmacy and VIP lounges.
Is it possible to get the Emergency or Urgent passport in Galeão?
Any passenger with Brazilian citizenship can pick up the passport (either Emergency or Urgent one) at the Federal Police office at Galeão airport. To start the process you must visit the Federal Police, and search the passport option.
What to do in case of loss of valuables or luggage?
In case of losing documentation or belongings within the terminals, you should contact the Lost and Found desk (Achados e Perdidos) Monday to Friday: 12pm to 10pm, Saturday, Sunday and holidays: 12pm to 5pm +55 21 3004 6050. If your luggage or personal effects were lost or damaged during the trip, you should contact your airline .
Is there a luggage storage service?
The Malex company provides left luggage services, in the international arrivals hall (next to Safra bank) tel. +55 21-3398-2192.
How much does it cost to park in Galeão?
The cheapest parking is the outdoors Economic Parking Lot 2 (18 reais an hour and R $ 48 the entire stay). The spaces are subject to availability. No reservations are made. More information here
Are there banking services in Galeão?
There are banking services of Banco do Brasil, Banco de Itaú, ATMs and two 24-hour money exchange agencies (GlobalExchange, Safra).
Are there pharmacies?
There is a 24-hour pharmacy (Air Farma) in the 2nd Floor Passenger Terminal.